Hardware Hacking Training
Grand Idea Studio’s Hardware Hacking Training, taught exclusively by Joe Grand, focuses on hardware hacking and reverse engineering techniques commonly used against hardware products. It is a combination of lecture and hands-on exercises, culminating with students attempting to defeat the security of a custom-designed circuit board.
Please visit the Events page for currently scheduled public classes. If you are interested in a private session for your organization, please contact us. The course can be tailored for a specific audience, skill level, or area of interest.
During the course, the student will:
- Understand the mindset of hardware hackers and why they do what they do
- Learn skills needed to successfully reverse engineer and analyze electronic products
- Apply real world techniques to defeat the security mechanisms of a custom circuit board
Students will be provided with the following materials and equipment:
- Electronics measurement tools, including a multimeter, digital oscilloscope, soldering iron, and device programmer
- Grand Idea Studio’s custom hardware hacking training circuit board
- Course lecture slides, research papers, data sheets, and tools
Students should bring their own laptop running Windows (or equivalent virtual machine) and containing a functional USB interface. The laptop will be used for online research and to control test equipment. Software and drivers may need to be installed.
“This was the best class I’ve taken in years. Hacking is back!” – Anonymous
“Outstanding course. Joe was a great instructor and made the course very friendly, informative and enjoyable!” – Anonymous
“Tremendous training. Joe definitely knows his stuff and put together an entertaining and challenging course.” – Anonymous
“This is one of the best classes I have taken. Joe is a total rock star.” – Anonymous
“Awesome! Course was an excellent mix of ground concepts, high level materials, and advanced concepts and attacks. Tons of hands on mixed with a fun and interesting lecture. Loved it.” – Anonymous
“An excellent mix of theoretical and hands-on work. The most fun I’ve had in a training course in a long time.” – Steve Wilson